Monday, March 05, 2007

Menu Plan Monday

Hello! This month ahead will kind of be a fun challenge as my dh is still off work, so it will be fun to see what good things I can come up with on our budget!

I am sorry I didn't post the White Turkey Chili recipe last week, I will post it at the end here. It is my mother-in-laws recipe and it is quite tasty!

Thanks to Laura for hosting this!

This week looks like this:
Monday: Tacos, rice $6.30 meal, $1.26 pp
Tuesday: Whole chicken, mashed potatoes, corn $5.00 meal, $1.00 pp
Wednesday: pizza, salad $7.00 meal, $1.40 pp
Thursday: BBQ ribs, twice baked potatoes, green beans $12.50 meal, 2.50 pp
Friday: Spaghetti, meat balls, garlic bread $3.01 meal, $.60 pp
Saturday: leftovers or maybe hamburgers
Sunday: baked potato soup, crescent rolls $5.16 meal, $1.03 pp

Dessert for the week: Rice Krispy treats.

When I met my dh his fave meal was potato soup and steak (his moms recipe) A friend gave me this baked potato soup recipe and it has replaced mommys :)

Baked potato soup:
4-5 lg baking potatoes
1 stick butter
2/3 cup flour
6 cups lowfat milk
salt & pepper
1c sour cream
10 oz low fat shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 lb crisp bacon, crumbled
green onions- sliced thin

Bake potatoes in oven- remove skin and dice, Melt butter in lg pot, add flour and stir gradually, add milk. Stir constantly until thickened (5 min)
stir in cheese and sour cream. Add salt and pepper to taste, stir in diced potatoes.

Garnish with bacon and onions and additional cheese if desired.

White Turkey Chili:
2 jars of Great Northern beans
2 lg cans chicken broth
1 onion, minced
2 lb boneless chicken or turkey breast, cubed.
1-2 cans chopped green chilies
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp chili season

Combine beans, broth and onion in a lg pot - simmer.
In sm skillet saute onion, chili season, cumin & chilies in sm amount of oil.
Add to beans. Add chicken or turkey and simmer 40 min. or in crock pot 3-4 hours

Top with crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese and sour cream.

8 comments:

The Open Range Camping Family said...

Looks good, it is always a challenge to plan budget meals, but I am getting better at it!

Annie said...

Baked pot soup sounds good, never made it... used to order it though and loved it! Thanks for posting the recipe, I will try it out.

Have a great week!
blessings~
Annie

jennyr said...

yum! great menu...thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

What a yummy week! :o) All of my favorite things! Enjoy!

Thanks for the compliments on my changes. I wanted something *new* and fun! :o)

KC said...

yummy thanks for both the recipies.

Robin Green said...

Can't beat taco's and spaghetti--they taste wonderful and are economical too. I hope you have a wonderful week!

palmtreefanatic said...

sounds YUMMY!
another great fully planned week!

hope your week is wonderful!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Turkey chili sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe.